~~Calculated by Nova McBee (book review)~~

 


Three out of five stars.

(Spoilers below!)

    Characters: While I found no difficulty in relating to or feeling for the main character, Josephine, I do feel that there was something missing from her character so that she was not as flushed out and as real as I would have wanted her to be. Because, besides her gift of numbers, the only thing I really think of when I think of Josephine is how those she interacts with affect her. From being affected by her sister's jealousy to the exploitation of others, and eventually to the love and friendship of Kai. I felt her extreme intelligence was the only thing that was her own and that made up her personality, and I would've liked her to have had something else along with that. Some dream, goal, personality trait, or habit, apart from the others in the story and apart from reacting to the others in the story. In contrast, the rest of the characters I felt did have enough to be their own person apart from reacting to what others were doing.

     Plot and Pacing: This book's pacing was slow, with very little happening until the last quarter or so. Because of this I almost gave up on it and wanted to move on to something else more fast paced, but I ultimately stuck it out and finished it. Additionally, once things did pick up, I felt they were wrapped up too quickly. Examples being Madam and King's arrests and Josephine reuniting with her family.

    Elements I liked:

  • The character Red, and his friendship and wisdom gifted to Josephine in the prison.
  • Some of the descriptions and dialogue were pretty.
  • The scene where Josephine burns her prison clothes and what it symbolized for her new life moving forward. 
  • The book cover! I think it's really eye-catching. 
  • The author's exploration of the power of names.
  • I also appreciate the research that must have gone into this project in regard to china, economics, etc.
  • Last, it was enjoyable once I got into it and I'm glad I stuck it out and finished the book!

  

  Have you read Calculated? If so, let me know your thoughts on the book in the comments! Also, after doing some snooping, I found out it's being turned into a film, so that's going to be exciting to see once it's out!

 

    With love,

                    the hopeful maiden.

Comments